Comparing ROK Blocks to LEGO Duplo & Others
Experts agree that building blocks are one of the best educational toys ever invented (see a summary of the research here). So, which building blocks should you choose for your preschooler? Some factors you may want to consider:
- Encourage divergent thinking - A lot of great toys, like puzzles, encourage convergent thinking; there is only one right way to complete a puzzle. Blocks offer the opportunity to encourage divergent thinking; they provide children the freedom to think outside the box and make their own creations.
- Interlocking vs. non-interlocking – Interlocking blocks allow children keep their creations together, and to build toys they can continue to play with when the building is done. Children return to build more often and play longer when they can create their own fun toys.
- Two Dimensional vs. Three Dimensional Building - Most preschool interlocking blocks are molded in one piece to save cost, and these blocks only stack up. Some interlocking blocks are molded in two separate pieces, and then welded together. They stack both up and out in three dimensions and can be assembled in thousands more combinations than traditional blocks.
|ROK Blocks||Duplo Themed Sets||LEGO Duplo Basic||Wooden Blocks|
|Encourage Divergent Play|
|Build Sturdy 3-Dimensional Toys|
|Broad Variety of Themes|
Of course, LEGO Duplo is the giant in the market for blocks. The have a huge variety of themed sets; farms, airports, construction, you name it. These are fun, reasonably priced preschool toys, but many don’t include much block play at all. The themed sets are a great choice for a travel toy, but Duplo basic brick sets are better learning toys.
Wooden blocks are fantastic learning toys. They belong in every child’s toy box, especially for toddlers. Children that play with blocks grow up with better math and language skills, and are better problem solvers, and it’s best to encouraging girls and boys in block play at the earliest age possible. As children get a little older, adding interlocking blocks to their toy box is a good idea.
What makes ROK Blocks special?
ROK Blocks are a more dynamic and creative preschool block choice.
- Special cones guide the blocks into perfect alignment. Now, just a little squeeze, and the blocks snap together.
- ROK Blocks are molded in two separate pieces—and then ultrasonically welded together; they stack both up and out in three dimensions and can be assembled in thousands more combinations than traditional blocks.
- Wheeled vehicles, airplanes and helicopters, houses and other buildings are all easy to make.
- Because ROK Blocks can make a wider variety of real working toys, they’re fun for parents too. If there is one thing that’s more beneficial to a child’s learning than any educational toy, it’s playing with their parents.
You really can’t go wrong with any good preschool block. Academic research has proven that construction play helps children learn better and prepare for their future. That’s why here at Rokenbok, we are proud to have invented a better interlocking building block.